Re: Abbreviation of State Names

Subject: Re: Abbreviation of State Names
From: Andreas Ramos <andreas -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 16:54:00 -0700

On Tue, 24 May 1994, Vollbach, Elizabeth wrote:
> If we want to get really nitpicky, Andreas, we wouldn't, as you
> suggest, use an abbreviation such as "Mich." in text. If I am not
> mistaken, and I don't think I am, state names are properly spelled out
> in text. Beth

I agree that it's a bit odd to abbreviate a state's name; personally, I
wouldn't abbreviate Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi (there's a case of
dubuious sexist abbreviations! Shouldn't it be Ms.?) or Massachussetts.

I was only making the point that there is a difference between an
abbreviation, which is generally accepted, and a code, which is imposed
by a particular organization, such as the US Post Office.

Names, for example, have short forms (William vs. Bill). In the USA, this
is a general convention. It has no force in any legal arena.

The Postal Servive's codes, however, are enforced: they will simply
return your mail if you don't use the codes. One must use a zip code.

yrs,
andreas