Re: Use of a slash (/)

Subject: Re: Use of a slash (/)
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 07:45:58 EDT

>I couldn't find anything in my style guides and grammar books
>about the proper use of the slash (/).

>I have always used it to indicate words that are somewhat
>synonymous. I am editing an article for a computer security
>officer, and he uses it as follows:
> student/employee privacy -- grades/payroll data.

>I want to justify changing the slash to "or" -- as it also is my
>understanding that "or" implies "and/or".

I have some notes that say that "One style manual lists twenty-four
contradictory, accepted meanings for the virgule. Say what you mean - and,
or, per, or divide." Unfortunately, I don't remember which style manual, so
you'll have take my word for it. :^)

Anyway, based on this, I avoid the virgule wherever possible, because with 24
possible meanings, the possibility for confusion is great.

Barb