Gender Reference

Subject: Gender Reference
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 09:55:05 PDT

In writing technical documentation it has been generally taboo to use any
form of gender reference, such as he or she. Alternatives I have seen have
ranged from using the third person plural to the new form; (s)he.

I would appreciate any feed back from colleagues who use these, or
alternatives to these. I am reviewing our style manual, and am not happy with
simply stating that gender reference should not be used. I would like to be
able to provide examples/alternatives. Thanks in advance for your time.

David Dubin

"You can always tell a Texan... but you cannot tell him much." -J.W. Ewing