Re: Your opinions again, please

Subject: Re: Your opinions again, please
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 12:51:26 EDT

> 1. The system (or name of application) displays the XYZ screen.
> 2. The XYZ screen is displayed.
> 3. The XYZ screen displays.

I would use "The XYZ screen appears". 1 is cumbersome, 2 is passive, 3 is
grammatically incorrect ("display" is transitive, and takes an object,
unless you're talking about mating birds).

When this discussion came up a while ago, there were several people who
felt strongly that "appears" is inappropriate because of its magical
connotations. However, I've seen it used before, it's been recommended
to me by editors, and the dictionary doesn't give any definitions that
sound remotely magical (though the thesaurus does list "emanate" and
"materialize" as synonyms, among a number of more prosaic ones).
All this means nothing, though, if appears=magical is an association
entrenched in the minds of our readers (although not yet reflected in the
thesaurus). I've never had any complaints, or heard of there being any
complaints, but then it's a small enough detail that most users probably
wouldn't bother giving feedback even if it did bother them. The only place
I've _ever_ seen an objection to the use of the word appears, in the above
context, is on this list. We never took a vote, but there seemed to be
strong opinions on both sides.

Upshot: I still recommend appears, but some writers have the objection
noted above, and it's not the kind of objection that can readily be
proved or disproved.

Good luck,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: Returnable for refund where not prohibited by law.