This just appeared !

Subject: This just appeared !
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 14:46:51 PDT

> . . .

> I wondered whether your distinctions were purely subjective, like
> the people who claim "appears" implies magic, or did the dictionary
> back you up? . . .

> Cheers,
> Ken

Ken, if the dictionary doesn't recognize what I'm implying when I say
"The book appeared on my kitchen table," something's wrong. Now, that's
a real neutral context I've provided, right? The word "appears" is what
gives it its magical (perhaps "unexpected" is a more precise word)
connotation.

Sounds the same to me in documentation.

Arthur

I placed the book on the table.

The mailman placed the book on the table.

The bookstore displayed a selection of my books on the table.

-- yep, a pretty neutral context . . .