Friendly Fire

Subject: Friendly Fire
From: "Kirby Hall (hall -at- wthm32 -dot- sinet -dot- slb -dot- com)" <hall -at- WTHM32 -dot- SINET -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 14:16:35 GMT

From: NAME: HALL <HALL -at- WTHM32@PSI%ESFM01 -at- MRGATE@SNMRTR>
To: "TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET"@M_INTERNET -at- MRGATE@SNMRTR -at- SNMRTR

Unsolicited Opinions Dept.--
After being on the techwriting list for a couple of months, I've
found that reading the mail is a lot like reading those two old saws
of comic strips, "Nancy" and "Mutt and Jeff." Every day you're hoping
against hope that they're going to be funny and not irritate the hell out of
you---knowing, of course, that no one is forcing you to read them--and every
day, or almost every day, your worst fears are realized. It is a bit
masochistic, this behavior, and reminds me of the sadist who always turned
a deaf ear to the masochist's pleas for a beating.

This is not to say that there isn't often helpful information on the list.
Or that there aren't interesting, bright minds out there. But the capacity
of many to beat linguistic dead horses into plowshares has left me numb
and weary.

Perhaps what everyone needs is to apply some of that skinny dip to their
frontal lobes and pour themselves a tumber of straight gin. And then call
me in the morning.

Kirby Hall

|| 6 Villa Collet
||d 75014 Paris

VMSmail To information: M_INTERNET::"TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET"