Online Help in Windows

Subject: Online Help in Windows
From: Chet Ensign <DOCCOE -at- IBIVM -dot- IBMMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 12:50:18 EDT

David,
You asked...

> 1. Do any of you use any color other than the green that is generated
> by HC31 for your jump/popup links?

> 2. Do any of you use any other graphic annotation other than a single
> underline for jump links or a dashed underline for popups?

> 3. Usually, how many topic levels do you create below the initial
> contents topic? (I think that three to four should be the limit)

We've stuck with all the Windows defaults here, figuring that you can safely
assume all readers will have the standard Windows fonts, understand the
conventions, etc. I think there is value to showing readers information in
formats they are already used to using.

As far as topic levels go, that really is sort of a non-issue. I doubt many
people read through the online document sequentially anyway. With the docs
we're doing here, I'm more concerned that we get all the relevant info into
one topic whenever that is possible so that the reader's question is solved
once he or she locates it.

Best regards,

/chet

--
Chet Ensign
Information Builders, Inc. 212-736-6250 X4349

internet: doccoe -at- ibivm -dot- ibmmail -dot- com
ibmmail: USUBUVMV -at- IBMMAIL
compuserve: 73163,1414