Friendly Fire

Subject: Friendly Fire
From: "Montgomery, Kevin" <kmontgomery -at- CCLINK -dot- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 11:16:46 PST

Well said, Mr. Hall!

>After being on the techwriting list for a couple of months, I've
>found that reading the mail is a lot like reading those two old saws
>of comic strips, "Nancy" and "Mutt and Jeff." Every day you're hoping
>against hope that they're going to be funny and not irritate the hell out of
>you---knowing, of course, that no one is forcing you to read them--and
>every day, or almost every day, your worst fears are realized.

It's the psychological concept of intermittent reward--the pleasure of the
occasional touch of humor or smidgen of interesting information compels us to
endure the dulling repetitiveness of postings by the
virtual-pocket-protector-and-eyeglass-tape crowd, just as the occasional $2
payoff compels the sorry multitudes to pull handles in Vegas. I'm not
complaining about this state; I recognize why I pull the TECHWR-L lever, and
what is a wasted quarter to me may be a three-cherry thrill to someone else.

Some of us--perhaps many of us--appreciate the humorous banter of sharp minds.
When such banter applies even indirectly to our common profession, let's
encourage it on TECHWR-L. It compliments and enlivens the practical
information here and dulls the discomfort of the rest.

Kevin the Antagonist, San Diego
kmontgomery -at- logicon -dot- com