Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!

Subject: Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <arlen -dot- walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 09:42:02 -0500

>Then he asked, "Can you prove that you generated any of this stuff?"
>and sat waiting for my reaction. A fish out of water, gasping for
>air, had NOTHING on me at that point. But the comment was valid.

It certainly is. It helps if your company publishes your name on the
documentation as a credit. Among the work samples I keep handy for
occasions like this are copies of my magazine work. It's much less
technical in content, but it serves the purpose of proving I have at least
some skill in putting words together.

>I've also been *quite* surprised at
>the number of times applicants have been unable to discuss their
>portfolios knowledgeably.

How much of that is due to the documents being fakes, do you think? And how
much might be because they were either caught flat-footed (like you were in
your interview) or because it might have been a decision that was made for
them, and they never thought (or dared) to ask why?

Have Fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
This mail message contains 100% recycled electrons