Re: Viewer 2.0 experts?

Subject: Re: Viewer 2.0 experts?
From: Mike Pope <mikep -at- ASYMETRIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:24:00 PDT

>We'd also like to hear about what mm file formats Viewer 2 supports
natively
>(e.g., .FLI animation?) as we've had a tough time getting information from
>MS about this puppy. Sheesh, you think it'd be EASY to get mailed or faxed
>some propaganda....

Viewer supports any MCI-compatible format, which includes:

* Video: AVI files, captured using
Video for Windows.
* Sound: WAV files (captured with the
Windows 3.1 Sound Recorder) or MID (MIDI) files.
* Animation: FLI/FLC files, also AVI

You (of course), and more importantly, the user must have the appropriate
drivers installed for any of this to work. Some types of MM (notably sound)
require hardware as well.

Here's some advice: go easy, go slow. Adding a small bit of multimedia
(the occasionaly animation or video, some voiceover) will be more than
plenty, both for you and for your audience. Also, make sure it's optional,
that the application is not completely dependent on the multimedia. If it
is, those w/o sound cards or whatever won't be able to run it ...

FWIW,

-- Mike Pope
mikep -at- asymetrix -dot- com