Re: Don't "Should" on Me!

Subject: Re: Don't "Should" on Me!
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 17:43:00 PDT

Caryn Rizell writes:

>But what do you do in
>the case where if the user does not do what we tell them, the
>consequences are very serious? Since we are to avoid the negative
>(Don't do this), what do we use instead to convey
>an imperative that should not be taken lightly?

At the risk of sounding parental (this generation of parents, not the Dr.
Spock generation), how about phrasing it "If you do XXX, YYY will happen,"
allowing the reader to draw a conclusion based on cause & effect rather than
apparently arbitrary authority. If she WANTS to crash her system or
whatever YYY is, it's still her prerogative. But this way you don't insult
her intelligence or judgment.

Sally Marquigny
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com