[no subject]

From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 08:08:29 -0500

Sue P. Stewart suggests:
>"The program's purpose" = "the program purpose."
>"The key's function" = "the key function" (or "the key does or causes")

The only uses I can think of at 8:03 am for these phrases are in this context:

The program's purpose is blah (the program purpose is)
The key's function is blah (the key function is)

in which case, I'd rather write:

The program blahs
The key blahs

(where blah suddenly, as if by magick, becomes a verb). In other words,
I'm suspicious of "purpose" and "function" -- often, they add no meaning.

jim grey
--
jim grey |"Ain't nothin' better in the world, you know
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |Than lyin' in the sun, listenin' to the radio" - D. Boone