Re: Amazed at offered salaries; need input!

Subject: Re: Amazed at offered salaries; need input!
From: Joe Chew <jtchew -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 02:58:02 GMT

I may have inadvertently insulted somebody with my posting, quoted
below, in which I used the term "bottom feeders." Let me make it
absolutely clear that I was referring to the companies, not to the
people applying for -- or currently employed in -- such jobs. I've
done hard work for low pay myself and know how it feels; insulting
such folks would be the furthest thing from my intention.

Having cleared THAT up, I shall stand by my point. Unless there are
extenuating circumstances -- e.g., the job description is Brochure
Writer In Residence at Glacier National Park and the company provides
you with firewood, or it's a faculty appointment that leaves you free
and geographically well placed to do consulting work, or a startup is
lowballing your salary and making it up in stock options -- the
quoted range of $25-30k is simply too low for the considerable
qualifications you bring to the table. Someone like you should skip
the slave shops and the old-line organizations that think our profession
is little more than secretarial work, and go look for a job that will
use your talents and compensate you accordingly.

Peace (except on those points that call for war),
--Joe

Ad absurdum per aspera (JTCHEW -at- lbl -dot- gov) wrote:
: > Am I off-base totally here, or is $25-30k way too low of a range for
: > tech writers who know Frame on Unix, can read C code, and can work
: > totally unsupervised on end-user documentation, starting from the
: > hardware and working into the software aspects of a complete
: > product??? (not to mention lots other computer platforms/skills, and
: > a MA in tech writing...??)

: I assume you're looking in Colorado. Sheesh! What a bunch of
: bottom feeders! Hewlett Packard was paying me $21k a year in
: 1984 ... as a summer intern who had yet to earn a degree.

: Joe
: "Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"
: Disclaimer: Even if my employer had a position on the subject,
: I probably wouldn't be the one stating it on their behalf.