Job Searching

Subject: Job Searching
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 09:31:45 PST

Regarding Bonni's post:

1. Although it seems that Bonni is saying that we shouldn't apply for
jobs when we don't have the specific experience the want ad says is
preferred or required, I have often done so. And, as a matter of
fact, every tech writing/editing job I ever got had requirement(s) for
qualifications that I didn't have. Maybe I got these jobs because of
my cover letter. I don't know. I didn't ignore their requirements; I
told the employer, either in the letter or the interview, why I'd be
able to meet them shortly. For instance, during my interview for my
present job, although they told me that Word for Windows experience
was required, and although I had never worked with Windows, I pointed
out that I had plenty of Mac Word experience. I guess that was good
enough. But they didn't say so; I did.

2. I don't know, maybe the font I used in my cover letter and resume
DID turn off some employers. But there were times when I had no
choice but to use what I had. We don't always have access to various
fonts when we are unemployed. If I had been looking for a DTP job,
that might have been more critical.

3. We can't always target our resumes, either. Many times the ad
doesn't give us enough information to do so. I've done a lot of job
searching by guess and by golly.

I'm not saying that the way I did it was the only right way. But it
was right for me at the right time. So, I am saying that it depends.
There doesn't seem to be any one right way to do a job search. Beth