Sexist Language & Mike LaTorra

Subject: Sexist Language & Mike LaTorra
From: Dan Dieterich <ddieteri -at- UWSPMAIL -dot- UWSP -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 08:40:19 -0600

Thank you, thank you, Mike LaTorra, Documentation Supervisor at Accugraph,
Inc.! Like everyone else on this list, I was hoping that you would have no
objection to our discussion of non-sexist language on Techwr-L. We had all
lost a lot of sleep worrying that you might not approve of this discussion
topic. However, we're curious about your description of sexist language as
merely a matter of "political correctness." Is this just your own view or is
it an official position of Accugraph, Inc. that using language that
trivializes and demeans women is inconsequential.

I'm also curious, Mike, why you're so "PROUD" to be a "White Heterosexual
American Male." First, your parents had far more to do with your becoming
white, heterosexual, American, and male than you did. Second, your statement
implies that being non-white, non-heterosexual, non-American, and non-male is
something people should be non-proud of. Please explain to us why you (and
Accugraph?) believe that to be the case.

...and by the way, fortunately for the human race, it's not up to you and
Accugraph whether we have a HECK of a nice day.

- Dan