Re: Resume fonts

Subject: Re: Resume fonts
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 14:34:48 EDT

>So, when I read over the posts about fonts for
>resumes, I can't help but think that the whole thread
>is petty.

I suppose it sounds petty, but if you're in a stack of resumes, the look of
your resume can make the difference between having it read and having it
filed in the circular file.

I worked for a firm that put a help wanted ad in the local paper, and the
person doing the hiring to actually read all of them. The first move was to
eliminate all the sloppy resumes - if they look sloppy, the assumption is
that the sender doesn't care that much about the job. Resumes done on a laser
printer look nicer than those done on a typewriter, unfortuately. The second
weed-through eliminates people whose objectives don't match the job
description. THEN, you finally start reading them. Even so, only the first
few that look right get attention - I've heard of interviewers that find a
set number, then call those people. If that group doesn't work out, then they
go back.

It's unfortunate that so much of what people think of us is based on
appearances, but with a resume, that's all you have to go on, and if you've
got a huge stack of resumes in front of you, you don't have a chance to read
every one.

BTW, I think places like Kinko's rent out time on their Macs for much less
than $200/hour - that might be a less expensive option. You can also check
with your alma mater - many colleges have job placement programs that include
free use of computers and laser printers.

Barb