How many steps?

Subject: How many steps?
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 14:21:00 -0700

How many steps do you/your department find acceptable in a procedure?

I'm writing a long, complex set of instructions & keep breaking them into
smaller units.

Somehow, though, they still seem awfully long & complicated.

What rules do you follow?

Thanks for your ideas--

Karen Steele

I have to number steps in legal format (1, 1.1, 1.1.1, etc)
with each level indented. I try to avoid anything beyond the
fifth level and then only as numbered lists. My basic rule
is to only go to the next level if greater detail is
warranted. The 1st level identifies the basic subject
(safety, references, personnel requirements, procedures,
etc). The 2nd level identifies broad subsections and 3rd
level provides single action command steps. Fourth level
steps provide more detail for a less experienced user to
perform the 3rd level action.

1. Procedure

1.1 Start the Froznobbin Inverter

1.1.1 Open the left handed knooter valve
1.1.1.1 Unlock the knooter valve handwheel
1.1.1.2 Roll up your sleeves
1.1.1.3 Grasp handwheel firmly
1.1.1.4 Turn handwheel CCW

1.1.2 Open the right handed ...