Re: (tangent) "Click" or "click on" the GUI button?

Subject: Re: (tangent) "Click" or "click on" the GUI button?
From: JBergen <jbergen -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 01:04:05 -0400

In article <9406091023 -dot- AA27890 -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca>, Ken d'Albenas
<kendal -at- autotrol -dot- cuc -dot- ab -dot- ca> writes:

> (a) Click on "Blast Jupiter" to vapourize the red planet.
> (b) Click "Blast Jupiter" to vapourize the red planet.

>Although the semantic distinction is trivial, users who take the
>training are going to run into one or the other construction, or
>both, depending on which books they read.

>Time for a quickie poll of the experts. Yes, friends, that means
>you.* Do you say "on" or not? Is there a consensus? (Consensus?
>What's that? ;-)

I think either is acceptable but I use "click the <object>" (no "on")
because to say "click on" seems to draw attention away from the
object.Our software engineers voted for this form also. The main
thing to remember is to use one form consistently.

Janie Bergen
AnswerSoft, Inc.