Clickology

Subject: Clickology
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 09:05:39 IDT

Just as sometimes you need the user to refrain from pressing the Enter key
after typing data, you sometimes may need to separate the operations of
pointing to something on the screen and pressing the mouse button.

Hence, I use "click on."

** I happen to have wandered into a different usage: I click (on) the
object _with_ the particular button. I think that the more we use
the mouse, the more transparent it becomes... the more it seems
(at least to me) that the direct object of the click is not the
hand-held hardware but the on-screen image.

I know I wasn't really clicking the icon, just the mouse... but then
I wasn't really watching Jay Leno last night, just a bunch of glowing
phosphors...

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
Death to fanatics!