Re: FrameMaker Menu capture (why do it)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Menu capture (why do it)
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 1994 08:34:46 EDT

Re: To say, "Select X from the Y menu." is usually enough; the screen shot
doesn't add much.

EXCEPT if you're writing for an international audience. I did a user guide that
was not going to be translated but was being sent to English, Russian, Middle
East, Singaporean(?), and Japanese customers.

The marketing manager in Singapore suggested that I use as many pictures as
possible--although all of the Far East customers knew English, he said, many
weren't fluent. The result was a sort of comic-book manual--you could follow
the instructions by just looking at the pictures. The Singapore and Japanese
sales reps were VERY happy with the guide. (Not so happy with the program, but
that's another story.)

--Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com