IBM script to MS Word conversion?

Subject: IBM script to MS Word conversion?
From: Chet Ensign <DOCCOE -at- IBIVM -dot- IBMMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 15:56:25 EDT

>I've got a manual now in IBM script format on the mainframe that I'd like
>to convert to MS Word for Windows. We tried moving it to ascii and then
>to Word, but lots of extraneous characters got thrown in, characters which
>I cannot use the Find and Replace command on.

Carl,

It could be that there are some characters in the mainframe EBCDIC characer
set that are not being properly converted and/or thrown out during the
conversion to ASCII. You could check on the EBCDIC/ASCII conversion done
by your software program.

If the script tags are straightforward, you could actually do search and
replace in Word to replace them with styles or other formatting commands.
On the other hand, if the script tags are actually calls to macros that
embed other files or perform other processing functions on the source text
then you have more than a reformatting job on your hands. You'll have to
find out what actions those script tags kick off and then figure out how
to accomplish those same effects in Word.

I've worked with script files here, and my experience has been that script
power users can produce individual files that are not easy to understand
unless you have the writer with you. I always tried to get one of the file's
authors to help me figure out the nuances the coded in.

Best regards,

/chet

--
Chet Ensign
Information Builders, Inc. 212-736-6250 X4349

internet: doccoe -at- ibivm -dot- ibmmail -dot- com
ibmmail: USUBUVMV -at- IBMMAIL
compuserve: 73163,1414