Transferring postscript files

Subject: Transferring postscript files
From: "RJULIUS.US.ORACLE.COM" <RJULIUS -at- US -dot- ORACLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 16:30:14 PDT

Karen Steele writes: "... in shipping the PS files to customers in
remote locations (over the 'net), something happens. Our customer can't
read our PS files -- and we can't read theirs."

I frequently send postscript files over a network using ftp, and occasionally
forget to send them binary (ASCII transfer inserts tabs and carriage returns
that ruin your postscript file). Also, I sometimes get files over the network
(uuencoded, etc.) where the gremlins have inserted a header or a few stray
characters into the postscript file, or have truncated the first character.

This is easy to check on--if the first two characters in a postscript file
aren't %!, then the printer will not recognize it as a postscript file,
period. For example, a typical file may begin:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-2.0

So if you see:

@#$%^%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-2.0

you know the @#$%^ is noise, like Beetle Bailey cursing. Hope this helps.
Rich Julius Oracle Corporation
Senior Technical Writer Box 659504
Decision Support Systems 500 Oracle Parkway
(415) 506-4971 Redwood Shores, CA 94065

President, Berkeley Chapter, Society for Technical Communication

"The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise
the wealth which it prevents you from achieving." --Russell Green