Re: Writing press releases

Subject: Re: Writing press releases
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 10:05:09 MDT

*********** NGM Non-delivery Information ****************

Rejected for: Marci Andrews -at- Novell
Reason: Unauthorized copy detected. The remote host is Prv-Corp.

Original Message: Re: Writing press releases

Mindy's excellent advice about press releases reminded me
of something that happened about a year ago.

As publicity chairman for my community band, I wrote up an
informative press release about our spring concert and included
details about the talented artist who was our featured guest.

I sent the release to several papers. A reporter for the Arts
page of a larger, neighboring community called me to verify some
of my information, which I was happy to do. He then proceeded to
use my press release verbatim and *gave himself a byline*!

After fuming about his ethics, I decided to be complimented that
I had written the article so well. I didn't take any action other
than telling the story to friends and coworkers (and now you guys)!

LaVonna
I play the sax, but I'll keep my day job.
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com