Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows

Subject: Re: Shut Windows down versus shutdown Windows
From: Lori Klepfer MCOM <klepfer -at- CS -dot- HH -dot- AB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 16:40:57 -0400

> Gang,

> I need some help with the verb To Shut Down.
> For example, in a procedure, I need to say something like:
> 1. Shut Windows down and restart it.

> Would it be more correct to say
> 1. Shut down Windows and restart it.

> Donna Ellis
> dle -at- alpha -dot- sunquest -dot- com

First a word of aplogy; my first mail message was sent in error. I pressed the
wrong button. My most humble "I'm sorry."

According to my research, Harbrace College Handbook, 1986, says either way is
correct. "Shut down" is a verb phrase and words can come between the elements.

Karen Judd's Copyediting, A Practical Guide, 1982 says that splitting
verb phrases and infinitives are not as bad as they once were. But, when
you see a split infinitive or phrase ask yourself if putting the noun/modifer
anywhere else sounds akward.

Personally, I try to avoid splitting infintives and verb phrases because
1) I'm a purist
2) when writing a document for translation into another language, not splitting
these items helps the translators understand the sentence structure.

Regards,

Lori Klepfer
Lori -dot- Klepfer -at- ab -dot- com