Re: Shut Windows down ve...

Subject: Re: Shut Windows down ve...
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 1994 10:00:53 EDT

>I need some help with the verb To Shut Down.
>For example, in a procedure, I need to say something like:
>1. Shut Windows down and restart it.

>Would it be more correct to say
>1. Shut down Windows and restart it.

If you're talking about Windows specifically (that is, this isn't just an
example), I'd say "Exit Windows and restart it," because that's the
terminology Windows uses in the File menu and the exit window.

Otherwise, I prefer your second example. I don't agree with "Shutdown" as one
word, unless it's used as an adjective (the shutdown window) or a noun (Press
ALT+F4 to start shutdown). I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong)
that when a phrase like this is used as a verb, you need to leave it as two
words to allow changes to the verb ("the system should now be shutting down
Windows" or "ALT+F4 shuts down Windows," for example).

Barb