Re: Okay, whaddaya call

Subject: Re: Okay, whaddaya call
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 08:20:00 -0700

Sharon Eaton <sl_eaton -at- PNL -dot- GOV> writes:

> Okay, whaddaya call...
> a computer that runs DOS and/or Windows? "IBM/compatible
> computer" can become awfully cumbersome -- plus, so many *aren't*
> IBMs anymore; "personal computer," to me, also means Macintoshes;
> "DOS-based" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Why not just refer to the os or shell that is running the
show (ie, OS/2, DOS, Windows, Unix, Sys7, etc.)? Recently
I've seen the "PC compatible" phrase replaced with chip
description, as in "Intel compatible" or "xx86 compatible"
(xx = xx). The waters are likely to be muddied even further
with the introduction of the new generation of chips. JMHO.

Rich