WWW and doc distribtuion

Subject: WWW and doc distribtuion
From: Fred Wersan <wersan -at- ZEUS -dot- MA30 -dot- BULL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 13:01:59 EDT

Several posters on this item yesterday commented on security issues and
inconvenience of accessing docs through a network. You don't necessarily have
to go this route. Mosaic can read local documents as well as those across the
net, so you can use it is a viewer of delivered docs.

The downside is that the documents would have to be put in a predetermined
directory so that all the links would point to the correct place and you would
need a customized set of docs for each platform. An editor with conditional text
for the link locations could simplify this somewhat.

The upside is that you still have a uniform document interface across at least
three different platforms without major expense for viewer licenses.

I recently created a small HTML document on my PC, which I then moved to a
UNIX box with relatively little trouble.

As a side note, I came across a Windows app called HTMLAssistant. I found it
while browsing the What's New page a couple of weeks ago. It puts in all the
HTML tags using buttons and dialog boxes. It ain't perfect, but it's free. I
hope there's a special place in heaven for all the folks putting out good
freeware and low cost shareware that the rest of us can take advantage of.

-----------------------------------
Fred Wersan
Bull HN Information Systems
MA30/807
300 Concord Rd.
Billerica, Mass. 01821
508-294-2322
wersan -at- zeus -dot- ma30 -dot- bull -dot- com

Footer cognoscenti may note that I've changed the name of my employer again. I
am still in the same place, they just can't decide what to do with us organi-
zationally. Everyone needs us. No one wants us.