Re: Okay, whaddaya call

Subject: Re: Okay, whaddaya call
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 16:57:40 EDT

Sharon writes:
>>a computer that runs DOS and/or Windows? "IBM/compatible
>>computer" can become awfully cumbersome -- plus, so many *aren't*
>>IBMs anymore; "personal computer," to me, also means Macintoshes;
>>"DOS-based" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Gwen replies:
>Since Windows is not yet a *true* operating system, and requires DOS to run,
>"DOS-based" is completely accurate. I am curious as to why you think it tastes
>bad. Sounds fine to me.

Because OS/2 ain't DOS-based, natch. Neither are Windows NT or Chicago,
to give Microsoft their due.
multitasking.
Just because the media neglects OS/2 doesn't mean technical writers can.
It tends to deeply offend fanatical user types (like, say, me).

I wouldn't touch DOS or Windows with a 640k pole (okay, except I switch to
DOS to play Rebel Assault).

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: I'm speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.