"appears" at work

Subject: "appears" at work
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 16:15:29 EDT

Now, didja think I could let this pass?

Arthur Comings writes:
>The Line Name dialog box appears to allow you to specify the seismic
>line you wish to edit.

>-- what the dialog box *actually* does is not specified.

>My edits:

>MaxPro displays the Line Name dialog box, which you use to specify the
>seismic line you want to edit.

There was no reason to get rid of appears. How about:

The Line Name dialog box appears, which you use to specify the seismic line
you want to edit.

Or, to push some further style preferences,

The Line Name window appears. Use the Line Name window to choose a line to
edit.

If you want, I can come up with some examples in which "display" is
ambiguous, and could mean the monitor (or the mating overtures of the bird
on the window sill :-), but I'm assuming both of us can write around
ambiguities when it's necessary.

Later,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: defender of truth, justice, and "appears" over "display",
but on my own behalf, not my employer's, thanks much for asking.