Re: help!

Subject: Re: help!
From: "Charles P. Campbell" <cpc -at- MAILHOST -dot- NMT -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 08:49:29 -0600

Lester--

There's no simple answer on getting a document from your WP directory into
an e-mail transmission. Depends on your WP version, what mail program you use,
where your root directory (if any) is.

A procedure that works for me on a modem from home is this:

1. Save WP file as ASCII file in communication software's upload directory.
2. Use modem to log onto university computer.
3. Use Zmodem protocol to upload file.
4. Get into UNIX mail program. Type address and subject lines.
5. Use a "grab file" command to incorporate file into email message.

From the PC in my office, on ethernet, the procedure's a little different:

1. Save WP file as ASCII file in PC's ftp upload directory.
2. Log onto UNIX server.
3. Ftp file to UNIX server account.
4 & 5. Same as above.

If you use the emacs editor, you should be able to bring up your ASCII file in
the emacs editor and mail it from there--another option.

Since you have a .edu mail address, some variant of these procedures may work.
The main things are to save the WP file in ASCII (otherwise it transmits as
garbage) and to place the file where the mail program can get to it.

Happy mailing!
Chuck Campbell, PhD cpc -at- nmt -dot- edu
Technical Communication Program 505-835-5284
Humanities Department, New Mexico Tech
Socorro, NM 87801
"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."
--Samuel Johnson, 5 April 1776