Re: Men, Women, Smileys, and .signature files

Subject: Re: Men, Women, Smileys, and .signature files
From: MegaZone <megazone -at- OBSIDIAN -dot- WPI -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 1994 01:50:38 GMT

Gwen Gall <ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com> shaped the electrons to say:
>Who has time to make pretty little drawings? I like to throw the odd

Actually, ASCII art is ridiculed more than anything else. The Usenet
group alt.fan.warlord is just fo rmaking fun of signatures. And the
acronyms BUAF and BUAG are seen more an more (Big, Ugly, ASCII Font/Graphic).

.sigs are intended for useful information of 4-6 lines. If you can fit
art in there, go for it. But a lot of newusers creat 10-16 (or more) line
sig files with BUAF/Gs and think it is so cool they have to sue it ALL THE
TIME! Then they get upset when someone tells them to cut it out.

>in a hurry, and not wanting the same old thing every time (new dress/hair
>analogy, perhaps?--ah I was going to stay out of the gender thing!), and...

I've changed my .sig maybe, hmm, 4-5 times in 5 years. Usually just to
add more data, as when I started moderating a group. It is my "signature"
on the nets, as the name implies. I use Usenet quite a bit.

>recognize me by my written voice, I hope, or at least read the FROM header.

I tend to ignore headers and go straight to the body, since headers are
full of junk. (Yes, I know it is *useful* junk, and I know what it all
means.)

>But then, I'm not the lipstick and eyeliner type of gal, either! (Really,
>isn't it just an ego thing?)

No, it isn't an ego thing. As someone else said, it is like a face to
recognize. I can recognize the sig of a regular poster/emailer just from
the general SHAPE of the layout. I don't even have to conciously look
at it, it just registers. Just like the face of someone you talk to on
a regular basis.

--
megazone -at- wpi -dot- wpi -dot- edu megazone -at- world -dot- std -dot- com megazone -at- hotblack -dot- gweep -dot- net
"I have one prejudice, and that is against stupidity. Use your mind, think!"