Re: Scalable vs. scaleable

Subject: Re: Scalable vs. scaleable
From: Matt Hicks <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 10:51:54 -0600

> On Mon, 25 Jul 1994, Margaret Redding wrote:

> > I edited a lot of documents where the word "scaleable" occurred. Now,
> > the MSWord spellchecker accepted this spelling, but not "scalable." On the
> > other hand, FrameMaker and WP5.1 preferred "scalable," and rejected
> > "scaleable."
> >
> > When I asked people what they felt the spelling of scaleable (scalable)
> > should be, without exception they chose scaleable, saying scalable would
> > sound like scallable. What is the preferred spelling of editors on this list

I would be inclined to pronounce the first "e" if I saw the word
"scaleable." "Scalable" would not sound like "scallable"; that's why you
chose to write "scallable" with two l's. Otherwise, you would have
written: "...scalable would sound like scalable." Which of course it
does, because it doesn't sound like "scallable". :->

Matt Hicks, Tech. Writer, Unidata * I may not agree with what you
Boulder, CO, (303)497-8676, ******* say, but I'll defend to the
matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu ************* death my right to mock you.