Re: heading choice

Subject: Re: heading choice
From: Kathleen Nosbisch <bjg2 -at- SHAMAN -dot- NEXAGEN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 16:35:50 -0600

> Kevin wrote:
>>
>> Our documentation group decided to liven up our
>> Friday by having a minor word choice dispute.
>>
>> We have a series of procedures and each procedure is
>> numbered. We are divided as to whether we should have
>> the headings be Step 1, Step 2, Step 3... or
>> Task 1, Task 2, Task 3....

Our mainframe software installation manuals were about 50 pages long
and very complicated. I broke each of the separate items into
action-oriented tasks, with each task consisting of several steps to
complete the procedure defined in the task. For example,

Task 1. Unload the Install Tape

Step 1. Modify the XXXX job, substituting your site name for
XYZ in the variables shown in italics.

Step 2. Submit the XXXX job, blah blah blah.

etc...

Using this method really helps the support folks when a customer
calls, because it's pretty easy to figure out *exactly* where they
were in the installation process when something blew up/went wrong.

kat

Kathleen Nosbisch Recently laid off & temporarily contracting
bjg2 -at- nexagen -dot- com Looking for full-time job in Colorado!