Re: "Lower right-hand corner" Yuck!

Subject: Re: "Lower right-hand corner" Yuck!
From: "Less is more." <yvonne -at- VENUS -dot- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 08:43:52 -0700

> > IF it was correct to say "lower right-hand corner," you're right about
> > that hyphen. But it's not. I just finished deleting a bunch of
> > "-hand"s from some documents that were written, obviously, before I
> > started working here.

> Why is it incorrect to say "lower right-hand corner"?

I don't use the "-hand" part because it is my impression (or perhaps "guess"
instead of "impression") that "right-hand" and "left-hand" are
language-specific idiom. I wouldn't expect people who speak English as a
second language (part of my audience) to be familiar with the expression.
Or, I would at least expect that "lower right" might seem more natural to them.

Also, the "-hand" doesn't add anything ... why use it?

Yvonne DeGraw
yvonne -at- smartstar -dot- com
SmartStar Corporation
Santa Barbara, Ca