Re: &*%$ words

Subject: Re: &*%$ words
From: Lester Klein <lklein -at- CAP -dot- GWU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 1994 10:47:05 -0400

Perhaps you will forgive me if I politely remind my writing colleagues of
the difference between "cursing", "swearing", and using obscenities.
Unfortunately, many people use these three terms interchagealy, that is,
thinking they are all equivalent. NOT SO!

Cursing: a curse is the opposite of a blessing. Hence, to curse
means to wish evil or calamity on someone. There exists a plethora of
humorous curses; e.g., MAY YOU BUY A SUIT WITH 2 TROUSERS AND BURN A HOLE
IN THE JACKET. Others are nastier, and some vulgar; I resist the
temptation of including some examples.

Swearing: To swear is to take and make an oath. There ain't no
such things as "swear words". Only people with 2-digit IQ's use that
expression.

Finally, there is the use of obscenities: expletives, "dirty
words", etc. Once again, I refrain from providing examples. However, it
should be clear to any reasonable, moderately intelligent, and civil
person that obscenities have NO place in dialogue.

Lester Klein
114 Melbourne Ave. Silver Spring, MD 20901
301-587-0659, lklein -at- cap -dot- gwu -dot- edu