Re: Why paper books

Subject: Re: Why paper books
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <arlen -dot- walker -at- CORE -dot- CORP -dot- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 08:58:35 -0500

>** But from their largely useless cushions and boxes (would the diamonds
> pick up scratches without 'em?) the jewelry products get the equivalent
> of the "impressive weight and volume" that the literature gives to a
> software package. Like the cushion that serves as a pedestal for the
> diamond, the literature that dances around the software chanting
> reverential shibboleths adds to the central product's dignity.

This, and the earlier statements on this topic remind me of an exchange I
overheard between two youthful programmers. They were discussing one of
their elders, and how hard a time they were having getting him separated
from his precious listings. He was known for always insisting on storing in
his cube hardcopy listings of every program he ever wrote, despite the fact
the programs were backed up from here to eternity.

"He doesn't think it's a program unless he can hold it in his hand!"

Is that where we're coming from? The value of documentation is best
measured in pounds or cubic feet?

Have Fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
"The Four Horse Oppressors of the Apocalypse were Nutritional
Deprivation, State of Belligerency, Widespread Transmittable Condition and
Terminal Inconvenience"
- Official Politically Correct Dictionary