Re: How do You use the WWW?

Subject: Re: How do You use the WWW?
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 10:46:34 CDT

>It is possible, on sockets-based systems (Unix, Windows sockets,
>and...?), to determine the Internet host that has connected to your
>server (have you ever noticed that many FTP sites log your ID?) The
>server could log the IDs and the requested documents, and then send
>automatic notices whenever a particular doc is updated.

Arlen Walker sez:

|} And when they've used the CERN proxy-based WWW in order to get out through
|} their own firewall, what then? You send the notices to their firewall?

As previously stated, FTP sites already log your ID, and some, regardless
of what you used as your ``password'' when you logged in, send update
reports, bug reports, and virus alerts to user -at- fire -dot- wall -dot- host rather
than user -at- anonymous -dot- login -dot- address -dot- If it is important to you to get these
notices, you will make sure that your firewall contains an alias for
you.

The impetus to SEND the notice is on the server, the impetus to make sure
that what is sent actually goes somewhere is on the receiving end. That's
the email way.

On a side note, Mosaic V3 is supposed to contain some kind of password
validation. I don't see why a person couldn't set up some kind of phony
password system to recover email addresses of people accessing your
WWW pages. There isn't anything you can do to make it 100% perfect, but
as a mentor of mine once told me, ``Steve, you can make the thing fool
proof, but you can't make it 'damn fool' proof.''
/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "She understood, as he did, that all writing
was infernally boring and futile, but that it had to be done out of respect
for tradition" --Stanislaw Lem