Word 6.0 Problems

Subject: Word 6.0 Problems
From: "George F. Hayhoe III" <george -dot- hayhoe -at- SRS -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 08:41:00 -0400

Word 6 is the program I love to hate at the moment. It's got some
*wonderful* features that I wouldn't trade for anything, but it's quite
slow unless you have a powerful, fast machine. I have also experienced its
tendency not to release system memory and resources. In fact, if I start
and close the program several times, I have to quit Windows and restart in
order to run any other application.

I've also gotten the Word 6 message that J. Bergen reported: "File too
large to save." I was making some minor edits in a file originally created
with Word 2.0c. It *was* a fairly large file, nearly a megabyte, with some
embedded graphics. When I tried to save it, the message made me wonder what
the problem was. I've got 8 megs of RAM on my computer, gigabytes of disk
space on the server; how could a 1 MB file be too large to save?

I divided the file into two pieces. The first saved fine; the second caused
the same message to appear. Divided the second file the same way--same
result. To make a long story short, the problem was caused by a line less
than half an inch long which I had drawn in the Word 2.0c file using the
Microsoft drawing applet that's part of Word and other Microsoft products.
(I needed to create a stub header in a table, and the graphic line was the
only way to do it.) I deleted the graphic, redrew it in Word 6, and presto,
the file saved. Go figure!