Re: Report on how kids can't write well

Subject: Re: Report on how kids can't write well
From: "Westra, Kayla L." <13718westr -at- KCPBLDG01 -dot- BV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 16:15:00 CDT

Matthew wrote--

>High schools tend to spend much
>more time on the mechanics (tell me I am wrong) for one reason or
>another--perhaps it much more tangible. On the other hand, I believe as
>much focus should be given on how to generate and develop ideas--the
>content.

The high school I taught it didn't spend more time on mechanics. Most of
our time was spent reading and discussing literature (and writing about it).
I can see how it would happen though. It's easier to grade grammar. It's
either right or wrong.

Generating and developing ideas? That sounds like thinking!

Kayla Westra
Black & Veatch
13718westr -at- kcpbldg01 -dot- bv -dot- com