the 'thru' versus 'through' debate

Subject: the 'thru' versus 'through' debate
From: Anne Halseytechwriter <ach -at- TOMICHI -dot- STORTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 16:42:30 MDT

A recent poster (sorry, deleted the original) asked:

>Am I the only Technical Writer who uses "thru" when referring to a
>series of items?

I agree with the naysayers. According to my trusty Little, Brown
Handbook "thru" is:

A colloquial spelling of "through" that should be
avoided in all academic and business writing."

According to my trusty Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
(Tenth Edition), "thru" is a variant of "through".

Neither Chicago nor the AP Stylebook address its use.

And Sister Regina Marie (my second grade teacher, a Dominican nun
with a mission to instill the rudiments of language in her less-
than-willing students) considered the use of "thru" a crime
serious enough to require the resubmission of the offending
assignment PLUS submitting "Thru is not a word. Through is a
word." penned neatly 100 times.

I must side with Little, Brown and Sister Regina Marie. Use
"through" and save yourself the torment! ;-)

FWIW,

anne halsey
anne_halsey -at- stortek -dot- com