Re: Editing (was: Pulling My Hair Out)

Subject: Re: Editing (was: Pulling My Hair Out)
From: Gabe Goldberg <gabe -at- ACCESS3 -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 20:09:03 GMT

jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com wrote:

: I swear that some people are just looking for an ego boost when
: they ask you to edit something they wrote.

When asked to "edit" something, I ask whether the full treatment is wanted.
That means picking all the nits I can find, in addition to fixing problems,
compressing text, ensuring consistency, etc.

Before I started asking for informed consent, I sometimes surprised (not
pleasantly) people looking for certification rather than improvement.

I've collaborated on several books with another writer/editor; we've
evolved a mutual style of writing/editing which *we* find pleasing but
which others have found brutal, before they understood what we were trying
to do. The key is matching delivery to expectations before you start.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.
13382 Brookfield Court, Chantilly, VA 22021-2618