temp. ranges

Subject: temp. ranges
From: Shelley Larock <larock -at- TYCHO -dot- ARH -dot- CDC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 14:10:38 GMT

When I'm not sure how to write something like what LaVonna
asked about, I always see if there's another way to write
it.

1. ...temperatures 50 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. ...temperatures 50 to 250 degrees (F).
3. ...temperatures 50o to 250o (F).
4. ...temperatures 50oF to 250oF.

Or you could always change to the Kelvin temperature scale!

1. ...temperatures 323 to 523 Kelvin.
2. ...temperatures 323K to 523K.

Or, ignoring all of those rules that have been floating
around about sentence structure and lengthy sentences,
we could write the following:

1. ...temperatures ranging from the somewhat cool temperature
of 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which makes for nice sleeping weather
in the summer, to the Arizona-esque temperature
of 250 degrees--yes, Fahrenheit, again--which tends to make
sleeping a little difficult.

This last one surely won't get me an A in a chemistry class, but
I bet it would in a creative writing class (if, of course, grammar
and sentence structure aren't graded)! :)

Keep smiling!

Shelly La Rock
larock -at- tycho -dot- arh -dot- cdc -dot- com