Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 1994 13:28:36 -0500

After reading some replies to the "Who can't write?" thread,
I decided that many of you call your software developers
(programmers) by the title "engineer." Around here, the
holy title of "engineer" is only bestowed upon those possessing
degrees such as ME, EE, PE, etc. The programmers with degrees
(even advanced degrees) in computer science feel they are
considered second class citizens, and thus they can relate to
us lowly tech writers! BTW, it is undeniable that the programmers
do not achieve the same salary levels as the engineers, but for
that matter, neither do I!

As far as their writing skills go, it is my biased* opinion that
the programmers are usually better writers than the chemists and
engineers around here.

Q: Do you equate programmers with engineers?

*My husband is a programmer, and he corrects my (very rare)
language faux pas, but I still correct his punctuation.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com