Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?

Subject: Re: Do you equate engineers and programmers?
From: Laura Johnson <lauraj -at- CND -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 21:29:06 GMT

Here at Hewlett Packard, there are job titles which include the word
"engineer": software engineer, hardware engineer, product marketing
engineer, learning products engineer. The last (LPE) is the highest level
of "technical writer". As far as I know, everyone doing software
development fulltime is an "engineer" by job title. I usually have no idea
what degree the people I work with hold; some (most) software engineers
have degrees in comp. sci., others in EE, some in computer engineering.
I'm a learning products engineer who used to be a software engineer; I hold
a bachelor's degree (BSE) in computer engineering. (The word "engineer" in
the job title does tend to correlate to certain -- fairly high -- pay ranges.)