Re: Pet Peeves -Reply

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves -Reply
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 17:41:14 GMT

>>Hi! What are your writing pet peeves? What things do
>>you make certain that you edit out of your drafts and the
>>writing of subject matter experts (SMEs)?
>>
>>Please supply others. My dept. is trying to compile a list.

Mine are:

Using "let" or "allow" incorrectly ("The menu item lets you," "This feature
allows you to"

Adding that the user can customize something "according to your needs" or
"to suit your preference" -- why else would someone customize something?

"Whether or not" -- 98% of the time the "or not" is unnecessary

Indefinite it ("It's easy to," "It's recommended that")

Janice Gelb | (415) 336-7075
janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | "A silly message but mine own" (not Sun's!)