Re: Arlen's comments

Subject: Re: Arlen's comments
From: Louise Penberthy <louise -at- PRAVDA -dot- CC -dot- GATECH -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 16:13:03 -0400

In article <199408220609 -dot- XAA17559 -at- netcom6 -dot- netcom -dot- com>,
Karen Kay <karenk -at- netcom -dot- com> wrote:
>Arlen P. Walker said:
>> But do you know the conversion factors? If you do, it's not at all hard to
>> calculate the point of convergence:

>I know the conversion formula, but NOT from using it on a daily basis.

I know the conversion formula, oddly enough, because asking
beginning programming students to write a program to do the
conversion is a simple linear program that they can write early
on in the course.

So I figured where the two temperature scales converge by solving
the formula for the case where F = C.

In any case, I think that was the original question, i.e., where
the two converge. The original question was not, what's the
conversion formula. I don't see where most of us in our daily
lives have any need to know where the two converge. I can see
where we might need to convert. But (as a similar example), when
I was living in London I found it much easier to start getting a
"feel" for prices in pounds rather than doing the math in my head
every single time.

-- Louise Penberthy

--
Louise Penberthy | O Goddess, keep me in the company of
LCC | those who seek the truth, and preserve