Certification for Technical Communicators

Subject: Certification for Technical Communicators
From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 15:27:00 -0700

Mike Uhl

1. Yes, STC should implement a certification
program. Like PRSA, it should not be mandatory. However,
members should be encouraged to achieve certification after
ten years of membership ^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What does
membership in STC have to do with technical writing ability?

Also like PRSA, STC should restrict admission to the Society by
requiring a sponsor and a one year probationary period.
This sounds like a control mechanism similar to closed union
shops -- gotta' know someone to get in.

Only those
who professionally practice technical communication should be
admitted. (Teachers of technical communication would also be admitted.)

Not a bad idea but how is it enforced?

2. Technical Communication is, indeed, a profession. Of this, I am quite
confident. STC leaders, and others, have generally defined a profession
as an area of work requiring a four year degree or extensive experience
providing skills and knowledge comparable to that achieved through a
four year degree.

We had a very explosive thread related to this not long ago.
Tech writers seem to arrive at this occupation from a myriad
of backgrounds. How and who will determine what "extensive
experience" or "comparable knowledge" is equivalent to a 4 yr
degree (and which degrees are eligible)?

3. Certification should work in a manner similar to the way AMWA implements
theirs. STC should offer classes at the national conference and at the
region level whereby members achieve various certifications in specialty
areas and can earn a general certification.

Continuing education is always a good idea.

STC members have argued that our work is too general to define any kind
of encompassing qualifications. I disagree. An ability to draw basic
illustrations, write a grammatically correct sentence, recognize common
proofreader's marks, operate a personal computer, and so forth, are
skills that all technical communicators ought to have.

I consider those things to be very rudimentary. I bring a
LOT more than that to the projects I work on. If I
trumpeted those qualifications to my clients, I'm sure I'd be

4. Too many titles are handed out to technical communicators. The STC
leadership should work harder to create professional standards,
including job titles and achievement criteria.

Most professions have too many ambiguous titles. I've never
been hired for a job based on Title; it's always based on
what I'm experienced at doing.

In general, STC doesn't do enough for its membership. I am working on
changing this. The Carolina Chapter, of which I am active member, could
much more to serve its members. And the organization as a whole is not
nearly aggressive enough in promoting control of the profession.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There you go with that control thing again. I have been a
professional tech writer for a number of years and am happy
to say I've made a good living doing so. I have only
recently heard of the STC through participation in this list.
It sounds like a very worthwhile organization and one that I
am considering to join, but I don't think the STC has any
right to "control the profession."

In the coming years, I and some of my imaginative and bold colleagues
hope to bring a renaissance to technical communication in the Research
Triangle Park area. This is bold, and perhaps even arrogant talk,
^^^^^^^^
You got THAT right!

but the time for apathy and modesty are over. We have been
trampled on long enough. We want professional respect and we
are going to get it.

I have earned my own professional respect, thank you very
much. I don't need the STC to go out and get it for me.

Just my thoughts on the subject. 'Scuse me while I climb
into my asbestos reading suit. :)

Rich