Re: Degrees F/C Conversion

Subject: Re: Degrees F/C Conversion
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 07:31:11 -0700

Rick Lippincott said:
> Concerning C/F temperature conversions, Karen Kay writes:
> I don't disagree with this generalization, but I think you have chosen a
> pretty poor example. Converting from C to F and vice-versa is just NOT that
> useful. Well, maybe if you're using a foreign cookbook, providing you don't
> have the ballpark number for that food in your head...

> With all due respect, I disagree with your response. Although, apparently in
> your specific area of tech writing this conversion is not often used, in
> other areas it is used daily.

Do you convert or use a table? For a series of conversions I've had to
make, I generally end up making a table. I'm curious about the Kelvin
conversions, too. There must be a formula, but I don't know it.

> My first reaction (and I've been wrong before) is that you most likely are a
> software tech writer, and are not used to working with hardware. I've

You're right, though I would like to write about hardware. So I
appreciate your hint.

> In short, while I have drawn the conclusion that this type of conversion is
> not useful to you, I respectfully suggest you carefully choose your words
> before making a generalization such as "Converting from C to F and
> vice-versa is just NOT that useful."

I included the example of the cookbook because I understand that there
are specific situations when you have to know the temperature exactly.

So you do all your conversions by hand instead of referring to tables
for any of it?

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com