Prior to - before - earlier

Subject: Prior to - before - earlier
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 10:07:52 IDT

It's mostly not used this way--I've get sentences and tables with
things like "this is the way things work in versions prior to 3.0, and
this is the way things work in later verions".

** You can have a "prior version" but you can't have a "before version."
Maybe that's why people prefer "prior"... it applies a bit more
clearly to the version itself. If you say "this is the way
things work in versions before 3.0" then the reader has to figure
out that you mean "versions before" rather than "work before".

Personally, I usually refer to "earlier" versions.
Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
Summit EDA Technologies | Voice: +972-9-507102, ext. 230 (work),
Box 544 | +972-9-552411 (home)
46105 Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-509118
"Graphics are especially useful for drawing readers into the book."
- STC Intercom