Re: Unrelated threads

Subject: Re: Unrelated threads
From: "Douglas G. Dirks" <doug -at- RSINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 12:18:51 -0600

|| From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
|| Subject: Unrelated threads
|| < . . . >
|| Like others, I get major grief at work for the number of mail messages I
|| receive. (This list is the culprit.) I can't find the time in the day to
|| sort through them, so many remain on the system for some time, whether
|| they're "junk mail" or not. Should we vote to create another list for those
|| who want to take turns on the soapbox so the rest of us can get down to
|| business efficiently? ;)
|| Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
|| sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA

While a TECHSOAP-L might not be such a bad idea, I think the problem
would be largely alleviated if everyone made sure their "Subject:"
headers made sense. First off, it helps when the headers are descriptive.
Not to point any fingers, but I don't glean any information from a
subject header that says simply "new topic."

Secondly, if everyone responding to a post just hit "reply" rather
than giving the message a new subject, those of us with mail readers
smart enough to do basic filtering could skip those treads automagically.
For example, while I found the drug testing messages interesting for
a while, I have now added the subject "Re: drug testing" to my filter
file. I realize that many folks don't have mail readers that can do
that, but a consistent stream of subject heads would at least allow
them to sort the messages out visually with a minimum of effort.

Just a thought,
Doug

Douglas Dirks doug -at- rsinc -dot- com
Technical Publications Phone: 303-786-9900
Research Systems, Inc. Fax: 303-786-9909
2995 Wilderness Place, Ste. 203
Boulder, CO, 80301